Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment and ready to harness your skills to galvanize positive change on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal dockets and legal proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an Economist with robust quantitative skills and project management experience to assist on projects related to energy and climate economics. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
The Economist will provide economic analyses to support Synapse project work, potentially on a wide range of topics such as energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets. This person will also play a lead role in Synapse projects related to modeling job and economic development impacts of energy sector investments.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments, and resource valuations for energy sector, particularly for electric and gas utilities.
- Quantify the employment impacts of various energy resource scenarios and policies.
- Quantify and monetize societal costs associated with power plant emissions, including the social cost of carbon.
- Assess wholesale market rules.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Identify and apply computer models to estimate the job and economic development impacts of energy sector investments.
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with senior and junior staff to refine analyses, support, and perform report and testimony development.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.
- Direct junior staff in utilizing modeling platforms.
- Master’s Degree in Economics plus two or more years of relevant experience, or Doctorate in Economics with relevant experience in the energy sector. (See job description above for examples of experience.)
- Experience working on regulated utility planning and economics.
- Experience with IMPLAN or other job impact modeling software (preferred but not required).
- Experience with modeling job and economic development impacts of energy sector investments (preferred but not required).
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ancestry, age, disability, handicap, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran/military status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter as a single document to the form found here.
Please direct all questions about this job posting to Erin Ash at email@example.com.