Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment and ready to harness your skills to galvanize positive change on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal dockets and legal proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an ambitious researcher with exceptional quantitative and writing skills. The ideal candidate is eager to learn about Synapse’s wide range of expertise and has a strong interest in analyzing large data sets to uncover key insights about the electric industry. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues, such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection, are preferred.
The Energy Analyst will support Synapse project work on a wide range of topics such as energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets.
- Perform analytical and research tasks under the supervision of project manager or other team members.
- Research and analyze energy efficiency programs and strategies, as well as energy technology costs, savings, and market penetrations.
- Maintain, use, and modify spreadsheet-based tools to analyze energy efficiency technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic analysis, including cost-benefit analysis, of energy resources.
- Assist with the organization of discovery responses, technical citations, and writing executive summaries.
- Perform electric sector modeling tasks using various software and in-house models, including utility planning software and job and economic development impacts models.
- Ability to develop and implement research strategies to support project and client needs.
- Excellent computer skills, including attention to detail related to unit conversions, discount rates, nominal and real dollars, and other economic principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to synthesize and summarize research and analysis.
- Ability to work and communicate well with project managers and team members.
- Ability to manage complex tasks with competing priorities and time requirements.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Environmental Studies, Physics, Public Policy, Sciences or related field plus 0-1 years of relevant experience (see Technical Skills above).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required. Experience in R or MATLAB preferable but not required.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ancestry, age, disability, handicap, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran/military status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form found here. This position is located at our office in Cambridge, MA. We are accepting applications for the Energy Analyst position through Wednesday, February 20, 2019.
Please direct all questions about this job posting to Erin Ash at email@example.com.