Senior Electricity Systems Planner/Modeler
Are you skilled at modeling complex energy and electricity systems? Are you passionate about energy, economics and the environment and ready to harness your skills to galvanize positive change in these topic areas on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics may have a place for you. We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide solutions to issues faced by the electric industry. We represent our clients by providing oral and written testimony as expert witnesses in Public Utility Commission dockets. In this testimony, we support a fair price for electricity in a way that also meets environmental goals. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse places great value on the culture of our office; we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking a Senior Modeler with robust quantitative skills and industry experience using modeling tools and analysis approaches to solve real world challenges. The preferred candidate will have extensive familiarity with economic modeling of generation and demand in the electric power sector and a passion and a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
Job Description: The Modeler will run and execute different modeling platforms and analyze data related to a wide range of topics, including energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets.
- Lead electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, ReEDS, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools.
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with senior and junior staff to refine analyses, support, and perform report and testimony development.
- Build utility-scale to regional-scale electric system modeling analyses using industry-standard software.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments and resource valuations for energy sector.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.
- Direct junior staff in utilizing modeling platforms.
- Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physical Sciences, Economics or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 5 years of relevant industry experience required.
- Demonstrated experience modifying, executing, and extracting data from industry models such as PLEXOS, System Optimizer, Aurora, PROMOD.
- Critical thinking skills related to model platform strengths, weaknesses, and implicit assumptions; ability to determine how and when to use appropriate model structure.
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy.
- Knowledge of economic principles.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements.
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate preferred.
- State, federal, provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred.
- Proven experience with project management, client management, and budget management.
- Visual Basic programming, programming languages, and statistical tools a plus, but not required.
- Power flow modeling software experience a plus, but not required.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment.
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels.
- Continuous learning opportunities such as research projects, conferences, trainings, workshops, client meetings, and presentation.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter as a single document to the form found here. Please address the following questions in your cover letter:
- How have you utilized electric system energy modeling to assess or solve a problem? What challenges did you face?
- What do you think are the key issues in electricity system planning, and how would you address one or more of those hurdles?
Please direct all questions about this job posting to Erin Ash at email@example.com.