Senior Energy Analyst
Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment and ready to harness your skills to galvanize positive change in these topic areas on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse represents these public interest clients in state and federal utility dockets.
Synapse places great value on our staff - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking a Senior Associate with robust quantitative skills and project management experience. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
Job Description: The Senior Associate will manage projects and teams related to topics such as energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets. The Analyst will also run and execute electricity market simulation software, capacity expansion models, and in-house custom software tools across a range of different modeling platforms.
- Lead and manage projects and proposals (including budget, staff, and client management).
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses, and develop reports and testimony.
- Conduct electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, ReEDS, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools.
- Build utility-scale to regional-scale electric system modeling analyses using industry-standard software.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments and resource valuations for energy sector.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.
- Degree in Engineering, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physical Sciences, or related field.
- 5-12 years of relevant industry work experience with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree, or
- 2-8 years of relevant industry work experience with a Doctorate
- At least 1 year of project management and budget management experience.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy.
- A clear understanding of economic principles.
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements.
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate preferred.
- State, federal, provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred.
- Standard programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Ruby, etc.), and statistical tools a plus, but not required.
- Ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Demonstrated experience modifying, executing, and extracting data from industry models such as IMPLAN, PLEXOS, System Optimizer, Aurora, PROMOD, ReEDS, and power flow modeling software experience a plus, but not required.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment.
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels.
- Support for employees’ professional and career development.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- Ergonomic workspaces.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- Healthy snacks to get you through your afternoon lull.
- A flexible work environment.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter as a single document to the form found here. We are accepting applications for this position through April 26, 2018. This position is located in Cambridge, MA.
Please direct all questions about this job posting to Erin Ash at email@example.com.