Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an Accounting Associate with robust communication and organizational skills and an eagerness to adapt to changing office systems and upgrades. Candidates should have skills with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, and a commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability and environmental justice.
The Accounting Associate is a member of the Operations Team, reporting to the Accounting Manager and supporting all of Operations. In the overall objective of creating and maintaining an efficient and effective Operations function, the Accounting Associate supports the Operations team with payroll, invoicing, bookkeeping, and other accounting and operations tasks. This person will be an integral part of the Operations team and will be expected to support and cover other Operations staff and office administration tasks as needed. This is a great opportunity to learn how a small business operates with a primarily focus on accountings tasks.
Finance and Accounting Support
- Support the accounts payable and subcontracting process
- Organize, process, and submit expense reports
- Prepare and send AR invoices
- Monitor and process credit card payments and invoices
- Handle bank deposits
- Process payroll
- Routinely prepare and update financial schedules, journals, and reports
- Track fixed assets
- Purchase and receive office supplies and materials
- Support consulting staff with accounting and administrative tasks
- Support project life cycle tasks
- Sort, deliver, and organize mail
- Provide additional office support as needed
Mindset, Work Environment, and Skills:
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, required to be primarily performed on-site during normal business hours. There will be times when working outside of the normal schedule is required. In addition, the position will:
- Actively build and contribute toward a collaborative Synapse community
- Contribute towards a respectful, open, innovative, high-performance work environment reflecting a collaborative team-based culture, and a service mindset
- Experience with some of the following systems: Quickbooks, Salesforce, ADP, Box.com, FinancialForce, Microsoft Office Admin
- At one year of bookkeeping experience
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree preferred (or equivalent education and experience)
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Proficiency in relevant office software with an ability and eagerness to adapt to changing systems and new technologies
- Experience with finance, payroll, and/or HR (preferred but not required)
- Effective communication skills required, both written and verbal
- Strong attention to detail and efficient processes
- Diplomacy and professionalism
- High level of sensitivity to confidentiality and sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to relay confidential information and communicate policies and procedures
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- May require moving equipment, supplies, tables, chairs, and other office items weighing up to 30 pounds for events and general business needs.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- We value thought leadership, creativity, innovation, process improvement, people leadership, and personal ownership. Our goal is to thrive in a highly collaborative and flexible team environment.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter (PDF preferred) to this form. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. This position is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Please direct all career-related questions to Erin Ash at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Friday, May 21 at 5:00 PM.