Consultant - Energy Regulation and Economics
If you are passionate about energy, economics, the environment, and galvanizing positive change, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal regulatory proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our employees - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking candidates with a strong interest in shaping the future of the electric sector, utility regulatory frameworks, and distributed energy resources. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues, such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection, are preferred.
Over the past decade, the electricity industry has witnessed dramatic changes due to the proliferation of new technologies at the grid edge, including distributed generation, storage, and electric vehicles. Electric utilities – and the regulatory framework that they operate in – must evolve as well. As a part of Synapse’s consulting team, the successful candidate will work to ensure that utility regulation evolves to promote public policy objectives, including achievement of environmental goals and equity.
The consultant will conduct economic and policy analysis on a wide range of topics such as grid modernization, rate design, performance based regulation, performance incentive mechanisms, and distributed energy resources. Distributed energy resources include distributed generation (such as solar, energy storage technologies, demand response, energy efficiency, and electric vehicles).
- Evaluate utility grid modernization proposals.
- Review or conduct benefit-cost analyses for distributed energy resources.
- Review or develop utility performance incentive mechanisms.
- Review or develop utility performance-based regulation proposals.
- Review or develop utility rate designs to ensure they provide efficient price signals and promote public policy objectives.
- Critique utility cost of service studies in filings related to distributed energy resources or rate design.
- Review or develop emerging utility business models related to platform services, third-party access, and increasing customer engagement.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Economics, Public Policy, Finance, Accounting, Mathematics, Management Science, Law, Statistics, or related field.
- 3+ years relevant experience.
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources and their role in utility planning.
- Understanding of cost of service regulation and performance-based regulation.
- Familiarity with utility rate design, cost allocation methodologies, marginal cost of service studies, and embedded cost of service studies.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Testimony experience (preferred but not required).
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel (preferred but not required).
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ancestry, age, disability, handicap, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran/military status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.