Energy and Policy Analyst
Synapse Energy Economics is a research and consulting firm specializing in energy, economic, and environmental topics with a focus on resource and policy issues in the electric industry. We are dedicated to using our skills in support of a fair price for electricity in a way that meets environmental goals. Our work supports a broad range of public‐interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse places great value on the culture of our office; we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an ambitious and creative Energy and Policy Analyst to join our team as a Research Associate with extraordinary quantitative, policy, and writing writing skills. Your passion and a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection will make this role perfect for you.
Job Description: The Research Associatie will conduct research and analyze data related to a wide range of topics, including green communities, energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, environmental regulations, and electricity markets.
- Perform analytical and research tasks under the supervision of a project manager or other team members.
- Maintain, use, and modify spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic analysis, including cost-benefit analysis, of energy resources.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts using written and verbal communication.
- Degree in public policy, economics, environmental studies or related field.
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree plus 0-2 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams.
- Excellent math and computer skills, including attention to detail related to unit conversions, discount rates, nominal and real dollars, and other economic principles.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements.
- Basic knowledge of economic principles.
- A desire to contribute to energy planning improvements.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment.
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels.
- Support for employees’ professional and career development.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- Ergonomic workspaces.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- Healthy snacks to get you through your afternoon lull.
- A flexible work environment.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter (PDF preferred) as a single document to the form found here. We are accepting applications through April 28, 2018. This position is located in Cambridge, MA.
For any questions related to this position, please contact Erin Ash at firstname.lastname@example.org.