You are here
If you are passionate about energy, the environment, and positive change, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal regulatory proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability. We pride ourselves on doing high quality work with rigorous analysis.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an Operations Assistant with robust communication and organizational skills and an eagerness to adapt to changing office systems and upgrades. Candidates should have skills with Microsoft Excel and a commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability and environmental justice.
The Operations Assistant is a member of the Operations Team, reporting to Senior Operations Lead and supporting all of Operations. In the overall objective of creating and maintaining an efficient and effective Operations function, the Operations Assistant supports the Operations team with administrative and technical duties, including clerical and organizational services.
Human Resources Support
- Support recruiting and hiring by communicating with candidates, scheduling interviews and arranging for travel logistics
- Assist Hiring Committee by providing support, organizing meetings, etc.
- Create and maintain personnel files; organize and digitize past and present employee personnel documents; assist with the transition to a paperless office environment
- Provide support for employee welfare initiatives
- Support planning of company events
Finance and Accounting Support
- Support the accounts payable and subcontracting payment process
- Organize, process, and submit expense reports
- Send AR invoices
- Monitor and process credit card payments and invoices
- Handle bank deposits as needed
- Serve as administrator for IT systems
- Provide data entry, review of new accounts, build and generate reports and dashboards, adjust settings, and other admin support to customize our Salesforce platform
- Triage IT issues to vendor and help desk, track and manage issues to resolution
General Office Support
- Arrange travel and support conference registration
- Assist with building issues and questions
- File organization (paper and electronic) and office organization
- Assist in the development of project procedures
- Coordinate meetings and conference calls
- Coordinating program logistics
- Write and circulate agendas and meeting minutes
- Other duties as assigned
Mindset, Work Environment, and Skills
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, required to be primarily performed on-site during normal business hours. There will be times when working outside of the normal schedule is required. Overtime hours require pre-approval from the director. In addition, the position will:
- Actively build and contribute toward a collaborative Synapse community
- Contribute towards a respectful, open, innovative, high-performance work environment reflecting a collaborative team-based culture, and a service mindset
- Experience with some of the following systems: Quickbooks, Salesforce (Admin preferred), Box.com, FinancialForce, Smartsheet, Docusign, Microsoft Office Admin
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Proficiency in relevant office software with an ability and eagerness to adapt to changing systems and new technologies
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree preferred (or equivalent education and experience)
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including multi-line telephone system, printer/photocopy/scanning machines, and AV equipment
- Effective communication skills required, both written and verbal
- Two to three years of previous relevant experience in an administrative, technical or accounting setting is required
- Strong attention to detail
- Diplomacy and professionalism
- High level of sensitivity to confidentiality and sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to relay confidential information and communicate policies and procedures
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Support for employees’ professional and career development.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- Ergonomic workspaces.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- A flexible work environment.
We value thought leadership, creativity, innovation, process improvement, people leadership, and personal ownership. Our goal is to thrive in a highly collaborative and flexible team environment.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter as a single document (PDF preferred) to this form. This position is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Please direct all career-related questions to Andrew Grandahl at email@example.com.