Research Associate / Associate
Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment and ready to harness your skills for positive change on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal dockets and legal proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff - we are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an ambitious, articulate, and creative researcher with exceptional quantitative and writing skills. The ideal candidate is eager to learn about Synapse’s wide range of expertise and has a strong interest in analyzing large data sets to uncover key insights about the electric industry. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues, such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection, are preferred.
The Research Associate or Associate will provide economic analyses to support Synapse project work, on a wide range of topics. Topics may include energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, resource planning, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets. This person will also play a lead role in Synapse projects related to modeling job and economic development impacts of energy sector investments.
- Perform analytical and research tasks under the supervision of project manager or other team members.
- Research and analyze energy efficiency programs and strategies, as well as energy technology costs, savings, and market penetrations.
- Perform economic analysis, including cost-benefit analysis and job impact analyses, of energy resources.
- Maintain, use, and modify spreadsheet-based tools to analyze energy efficiency technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic analysis, including cost-benefit analysis, of energy resources.
- Assist with the organization of discovery responses, technical citations, and writing executive summaries.
- Perform electric sector modeling tasks using various software and in-house models, including utility planning software and job and economic development impacts models.
- Ability to develop and implement research strategies to support project and client needs.
- Excellent math and computer skills, including attention to detail related to unit conversions, discount rates, nominal and real dollars, and other economic principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to synthesize and summarize research and analysis.
- Ability to work and communicate well with project managers and team members.
- Ability to manage complex tasks with competing priorities and time requirements.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Environmental Studies, Physics, or other related field.
- 1-2 years relevant work experience (see Technical Skills above).
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Proficiency with programming languages like MATLAB, Python, and R is valued but not required.
- Optional: Experience with PLEXOS, EnCompass, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD, ReEDs, or IMPLAN.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ancestry, age, disability, handicap, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran/military status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTIQ community.
To apply, please upload your resume and answer the following questions at form found here. This is a consulting position located in Cambridge, MA. Applications for this position will be accepted until Wednesday, August 12 at 5:00 PM.
- Why do you want to work at Synapse? What do you expect to learn from this job?
- Do you have direct experience in the energy field? If yes, please describe your experience.
- Please describe any experience you have with economic, financial, energy systems, or other related modeling.
- Describe a work product (for example, an academic report, team assignment, workplace task, volunteer activity, etc.) that you are proud of, and why.
- If you were the energy Czar of the United States, what measures would you begin implementing on a national scale?
Please direct all questions about this job posting to Karina Wen at firstname.lastname@example.org.