Senior Associate, Resource Planning
Are you looking to help transform the electricity system? Synapse is seeking an ambitious energy and/or economics expert with exceptional quantitative and writing skills and project management experience. Candidates should have a commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection, and a desire to be engaged in regulatory matters like Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and rate case review. Candidates should also have a passion for advancing the modeling tools and analysis available to social interest parties in the energy field.
Synapse is a consulting company that has been providing rigorous analysis on behalf of public interest clients in the energy and electric sector for more than two-and-a-half decades. Our work includes expert analysis and high-impact expert testimony in hundreds of docketed proceedings across the United States and Canada. Our clients include environmental non-profits, state agencies, federal agencies, and consumer and environmental advocacy groups.
The Senior Associate will join our team and manage projects, proposals, teams, project scope, and content related to topics such as resource planning, electricity markets, modeling, ratemaking, building electrification, energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electric vehicles, and other related topic areas. Our clients are passionate about transforming the electricity sector, and we are looking for someone that shares their passion and commitment to this important work.
Your role will include:
- Defending analysis and refuting opposing viewpoints and analysis
- Conducting electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to EnCompass, PLEXOS, Strategist, System Optimizer, or PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools
- Creating, using, and maintaining spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios
- Leading and managing projects and proposals focused on resource planning issues
- Assessing utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses and develop reports and testimony
- Working with a team of smart and passionate colleagues to perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments, and resource valuations for energy sector
- Clearly and succinctly summarizing complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through testimony, papers, presentations, and meetings
- Degree in Economics, Energy and Environmental Policy, Physical Sciences, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- 5+ years of relevant industry work experience with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree, or 2+ years of relevant industry work experience with a Doctorate
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements
You don't have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed above. If your skills are transferable and you are near the number of years of experience we are looking for, please apply. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
- Project management and budget management experience in a consulting position or in a similar role
- State, federal, or provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred
- Expert witness testimony experience: ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence
We are looking for a candidate to start working in summer or fall 2022, in our Cambridge office or in a remote location. Candidates should plan on occasional travel to present testimony in regulatory proceedings.
Working at Synapse
Synapse offers numerous benefits to its employees:
- Generous and flexible PTO
- Flexible work hours and holidays, and the ability to choose a schedule that works for you
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short- and long-term disability
- Profit-sharing bonuses
- Collaboration: everybody contributes, asks questions, proposes solutions, and works on interesting research and analysis
- Extensive professional development opportunities
- Cambridge, MA office space with sit-stand desks, lots of meeting space, bike parking, and plenty of nitro cold-brew and kombucha on tap
Synapse currently supports a hybrid work environment so our staff can find the right mix of support, collaboration, and flexibility. While we prefer employees located locally so we can nurture this environment, we will consider remote candidates where such arrangement is compatible with our clients’ work.
We are unable to sponsor work visas for this position. Authorization to work in the United States is required to be considered.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to this form.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community.