Senior Associate, Utility Rates and Regulation
Synapse Energy Economics is a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide energy sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal dockets and legal proceedings. We place great value on our staff. We are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics seeks a Senior Associate to provide consulting services on electric utility regulation and rate design for our public interest clients. In this position, you will lead fast-paced projects, manage diverse teams, and develop persuasive expert reports and testimony. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in economic theory along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
The Senior Associate will manage projects, proposals, and teams, as well as contribute substantively to projects managed by others, related to electric utility regulation and rate design. You will serve as a trusted technical expert for our clients and work collaboratively with them to develop testimony, reports, or presentations that advance the public interest. Examples of possible projects include testimony regarding performance-based regulation to better align utility incentives with public policy objectives, developing innovative rates for electric vehicles and distributed energy resources, and conducting benefit-cost analyses of non-wires alternatives and utility grid modernization proposals.
- Analyze electric utility applications pertaining to utility regulatory frameworks, cost of service, and rate design to identify shortcomings and propose forward-thinking alternatives to advance the public interest
- Manage projects and work collaboratively with team members to produce high-quality expert reports and testimony summarizing our analyses, conclusions, and recommendations
- Design complex models to analyze electric utility rate designs, cost of service methodologies, and non-wires alternatives
- Serve as a trusted technical expert to clients and successfully defend your analysis and refute opposing analyses in regulatory hearings
- Clearly and succinctly convey complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings
- Lead the development of proposals to effectively address client needs
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of our analyses and proposals
- Broad knowledge of electric utility regulation and ratemaking
- Degree in economics or management, or a degree in the mathematical and physical sciences with experience in economic analysis
- 4+ years of relevant industry work experience with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree; or a Doctorate with at least 1 year of relevant industry experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- A strong commitment to our mission and a desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements
- Advanced degree in economics or related field
- State, federal, or provincial electric utility regulatory experience
- Project management experience in a consulting position or in a similar role
- Expert witness testimony experience (either sponsoring or substantial contributions to the testimony of others)
You don't have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed above. If your skills are transferable or you are near the number of years of experience the we are looking for, please apply. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels
- Support for employees’ professional and career development
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement
- Autonomy and control over your work hours, including flextime
- A flexible, hybrid work environment
- Generous PTO
Synapse currently supports a hybrid work environment so our staff can find the right mix of support, collaboration, and flexibility. While we prefer employees located locally so we can nurture this environment, we will consider remote candidates where such arrangement is compatible with our clients’ work.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to this form.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community.