Senior Associate/Principal Associate
Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment? Are you ready to harness your skills for positive change on behalf of public interest organizations? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide energy sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal dockets and legal proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff. We are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking an ambitious consultant with exceptional quantitative and writing skills and project management experience. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
The associate will manage projects, proposals, teams, project scope, and content related to topics such as energy efficiency, resource planning, building electrification, renewable energy technologies, ratemaking, electric vehicles, electricity markets, and/or other related topic areas.
- Lead and manage projects and proposals (including budget, staff, and client management)
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses and develop reports and testimony
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments, and resource valuations for energy sector
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis
- Conduct electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, EnCompass, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios
- Degree in Engineering, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physical Sciences, or related field
- 6+ years of relevant industry work experience with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree, or 3+ years of relevant industry work experience with a Doctorate
- At least 2 years of project management and budget management experience in a consulting position or in a similar role
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements
- State, federal, or provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred
- Ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels
- Support for employees’ professional and career development
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement
- Autonomy and control over your work hours
- A flexible work environment
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and writing sample to this form.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community.